International Expert Symposium “Coping with Droughts”
Date: 19-21 November 2014
Venue: Santiago, Chile
Type of Event: Category 8-Symposium
The main objectives:
- To present the latest activities on International Drought Initiative (IDI)
- Exchange on the state of art and knowledge gaps on drought information systems (indices, monitoring, alert, data management, risk management).
- Evaluation of the value of information and the effectiveness of existing information strategies from a stakeholder perspective.
- Derive demand for innovation (research / implementation) regarding drought risk management for different integrated information strategies.
- Develop integrated approaches towards effective drought risk management considering the regional characteristics (climate, hydrology, cryosphere, storage, water demands).
- Establish a community of practice (research-institutions-policy) on drought management with the aim to develop solutions and proposals.
The Main expected outcomes:
- Improved dialogue between science, policy, public and private sector regarding the state of the art to assess and manage droughts in drylands of Latin America.
- Formulated and documented research demand and need for action in the field of drought management in the region through the establishment of Regional Working Groups and the development of a ‘Declaration on drought Management’.
- Joint project proposals for the region are drafted and envisaged in line with donor requirements and funding options for drought risk management.