The 1st IDI Expert Group and 6th Asian G-WADI Meeting
Date: 13 – 16 June 2015
Venue: Tehran and Isfahan, Iran
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- Regional Centre on Urban Water Management-Tehran (RCUWM)
- Ministry of Energy, I.R. of Iran
- International Drought Initiative (IDI)
- Global Network on Water and Development Information for Arid Lands (G-WADI)
- USA, Japan, Thailand, Jakarta, South Korea, India, Australia, Afghanistan, Pakistan.
Number of participants
- 200 persons
The main objectives
- To develop synergies between the two programmes of UNESCO, namely International Drought Initiative (IDI) and UNESCO IHP Programme on Water and Development Information for Arid Lands–A Global Network (G-WADI)
- To develop activities within the framework of the IHP VIII (2014-2021) ‘Water Security: Responses to Local, Regional and Global Challenges’
- To present advances in groundwater management and new tools and strategy for coping with droughts
- To improve the national policies for groundwater and drought management in the region as well as in Iran towards water security for the growing population in present and future
- Sharing national/regional experiences in groundwater management and finding solutions for sustainable groundwater harvest/extraction;
- Risk reduction in finding appropriate solutions for the challenge of water scarcity in arid and semi-arid countries, particularly Iran; leading to reduced monetary losses and social impacts;
- Providing information on current UNESCO-IHP programmes in relation to groundwater management and water management in arid zones (G-WADI);
- Networking among the groundwater institutions and specialists with regional water policy making authorities
- Sharing international/regional and national experience on drought issues to come up with proposals for future work in the region.
- Fostering links with international existing drought networks and share best practice on drought monitoring and forecasting.